Sustainable Commercial Buildings
We have been involved in commercial construction in the Blue Mountains since 2004, utilising Blue Eco Homes Owner and Principal, Joe Mercieca’s proven track record in commercial building.
As with our residential arm, our commercial building is based on environmentally-aware principles and practices. As a company, we believe we have a social responsibility to ensure that our commercial construction is eco-friendly and sustainable.
Our work in the commercial arena has been recognised by the industry at the Master Builders Association of NSW Excellence in Construction Awards in 2011 and 2014 for our most recent commercial projects as listed below:
As a major tourist destination, it was essential that the tearooms remained operational throughout the complex works. A significant amount of demolition materials were to be re-used back into the project to maintain the charm of the building. This was not only achieved with no incidents (and no teapot breakages!) but also exceeded all client expectations.
- Reuse of demolition materials from this project as much as possible, including cornices, floor boards, windows, paving, timber beams and joinery
- Demolition was done mostly by hand to enable reuse and recycling
- The control of dust was important between the work area and public spaces
- Low VOC paints were used
- Natural finished elements and use of recycled materials where possible
The fantastic work in refurbishing this building while maintaining its original heritage charm and remaining environmentally friendly throughout, saw us take top prize in two categories – Refurbishment/renovation/extension up to $2 million and Excellence in Environmental Management up to $10 million
THE LEURA GARAGE PROJECT
This project involved the transformation of a heritage mechanic’s workshop into an environmentally sustainable restaurant-wine bar.
It required significant dedication from the building team, with an understanding and commitment to environmental principles and collaboration with certifying authorities. Prior to transformation, the site had become highly contaminated and required input from the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) and Blue Mountains City Council. The final result was a “quality refurbished restaurant which surpasses environmental standards and client expectations, and was finished with professional quality and detail.” (2011 MBA Awards –Judges’ comments)
Key sustainable features of Leura Garage include:
- Historic mechanic’s hoist retained and restored as a wine display rack
- Installation of water tanks
- Use of 10kW photovoltaic solar
- Gas-boosted solar hot water system for kitchen use and hydronic in-floor heating
- Skylights for natural light
- Around 94% of construction waste either recycled or reused, with only 6% going to landfill.
Our construction of the popular restaurant-wine bar, “Leura Garage”, in Leura, saw us take top prize in two categories – ‘Refurbishment / Renovation / Extension up to $5 million’ and ‘Resource Efficiency’.
Our Commercial Experience also includes:
- Blaxland Preschool, Stage 1 & Stage 2 completed – 2004 & 2005
- Westmead Hospital Brain Injury Unit (as contracted foreman), 2008
- ‘Ochre’ shop fit-out, 2009 (Leura)
- ‘Zuri’ shop fit-out, 2010 (Leura)
- ‘The Works’ in Waratah Street, Katoomba, 2011
For more information on Blue Eco Homes, Passive house, environmentally friendly & energy efficient homes, or our concept homes, please drop us a line.
PO Box 4366
Winmalee NSW 2777