SUSTAINABLE COMMERCIAL BUILDING
We have been involved in commercial construction in the Blue Mountains since 2004.
Blue Eco Homes Owner and Principal, Joe Mercieca, has a proven track record in commercial building.
As with our residential arm, our commercial building is based on environmentally-aware principles and practices. As a company, we believe we have a social responsibility to ensure that our commercial construction is eco-friendly and sustainable.
Our work in the commercial arena was recognised by the industry at the 2011 Master Builders Association of NSW Excellence in Construction Awards. Our construction of the popular restaurant-wine bar, “Leura Garage”, in Leura, saw us take top prize in two categories – ‘Refurbishment / Renovation / Extension up to $5 million’ and ‘Resource Efficiency’.
THE LEURA GARAGE PROJECT
This project involved the transformation of a heritage mechanic’s workshop into an environmentally sustainable restaurant-wine bar.
It required significant dedication from the building team, with an understanding and commitment to environmental principles and collaboration with certifying authorities. Prior to transformation, the site had become highly contaminated and required input from the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) and Blue Mountains City Council. The final result was a “quality refurbished restaurant which surpasses environmental standards and client expectations, and was finished with professional quality and detail.” (2011 MBA Awards –Judges’ comments)
Key sustainable features of Leura Garage include:
- Historic mechanic’s hoist retained and restored as a wine display rack
- Installation of water tanks
- Use of 10kW photovoltaic solar
- Gas-boosted solar hot water system for kitchen use and hydronic in-floor heating
- Skylights for natural light
- Around 94% of construction waste either recycled or reused, with only 6% going to landfill.
Our commercial experience includes:
- Blaxland Preschool, Stage 1 & Stage 2 completed – 2004 & 2005
- Westmead Hospital Brain Injury Unit (as contracted foreman), 2008
- ‘Ochre’ shop fit-out, 2009 (Leura)
- ‘Zuri’ shop fit-out, 2010 (Leura)
- ‘The Works’ in Waratah Street, Katoomba, 2011
- Bygone Beautys in Leura, 2015